The Flathead Valley’s Leading Independent Journal of Observation, Analysis, & Opinion

3 May, 21 & 24 April 2011

Walker Kuhl

3 May 2011

Memorial service. Walker’s memorial service will be held at the beautiful Glacier Camp on the west side of Flathead Lake at 1600 on Saturday, 7 May. Details, and a call for photographs, are on www.walkerkuhl.com.

24 April 2011

NPS rangers recovered the bodies of Walker Kuhl and Gregory Seftick today. They were found in their tent under 5 meters of avalanche debris. The Jackson Hole Daily newspaper, which has covered the story closely and well, has the details.

The best wrap-up story produced locally is in the Hungry Horse News.

21 April 2011

Along with others, I received the following message from Walker Kuhl’s family:

Last evening, the National Park Service informed our family that the search, while it will continue for several days, has now become a recovery operation, not a rescue operation.

There was a large avalanche Saturday night which covered the entirety of the camp area where they were assumed to have been camping.

Our hearts are breaking, but we take solace in the knowledge that Walker was where he most loved — in the mountains. He was a tremendous person, and we are honored to have had the priviledge to know and love him.

I’ve known Walker, his parents, Richard Kuhl and Marylane Pannell, and his sister, Kendra, since the ‘seventies. Walker’s death is heartbreaking news, and my thoughts are with his family.

Messages for his family can be posted on www.walkerkuhl.com.